We are all aware of how important it is to take great care of our skin and how worthwhile it is to do so throughout our lifetime. Whether it’s moisturizing, cleansing, using sun protection, or staying hydrated, we know that keeping our skin healthy is essentially our responsibility. A multitude of skin care treatments are available to add to your regimen, which will enhance what you are already doing at home. Let’s talk about facials in particular. At Advanced Dermatology & Skin Surgery, we often get questions about facials and what they can do for you.
A facial is not just one thing. It is a set of treatments that may include steam, exfoliation, extraction, creams, masks, peels, and a massage. Its main goal is to cleanse, exfoliate, and nourish your skin, and it can also help clear up congested skin and remove excess oil and dry, flaky skin. As a bonus, facials are very relaxing.
Facials can be combined with other treatments to address a specific skin concern. Choosing the best treatment experience depends on your skin type and skin conditions. Your Cosmetic Specialist will work with you to ensure your goals are met.
Benefits of a Professional Facial
- Your facial is customized to your specific skin type and needs. The first thing that your Cosmetic Specialist will do is analyze your skin so the products and tools used are suited specifically to you. It can help with concerns such as acne, dry skin, aging skin, discoloration, and dull skin.
- Get a deep cleanse with techniques such as steam and exfoliation will remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells to maintain healthier skin.
- Extraction! Your experienced Cosmetic Specialist will safely extract blackheads and whiteheads.
- By default, deep cleansing and removing the layers of dull skin allows the efficacy of absorption of your products to increase. Better absorption means better results!
- Lymphatic massages improve circulation as well as the growth of collagen and elastin.
- It is excellent for stress relief!
Types of Facials
There are a wide variety of facials available. You should always keep in mind when selecting one, what benefits it will bring to your unique skin.
A classic facial consists of:
- Cleansing – any makeup is removed, and your skin is cleansed to remove impurities.
- Exfoliation – removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin as well as dirt from your pores, evening out your skin.
- Steam helps open your pores, so your skin is thoroughly cleaned.
- Extractions – if your skin requires them, once the steam and exfoliation soften and open your pores, it is easier to manipulate the skin to extract whiteheads and blackheads without damaging your skin.
- Massage is used to stimulate your skin, improve circulation, and promote healthy skin growth.
- Mask – can be applied after extractions and customized for your specific skin type.
- Moisturize – tailored for your specific skin type to bring hydration to your newly cleansed skin.
At Advanced Dermatology & Skin Surgery, you can also choose a Deep Cleansing Extraction Facial designed specifically for people dealing with teen or adult acne (not cystic acne), as well as the highly-regarded HydraFacial®. This non-invasive, non-surgical treatment uses a resurfacing procedure to extract impurities and exfoliate your skin while hydrating at the same time.
How often should you get a facial?
Your skin is constantly changing, regenerating, and dying. The skin cell turnover takes about 28 days, and depending on your age, may take longer. Dermatology experts recommend getting a facial once a month to take advantage of this cycle. If your time only allows for the occasional treatment, getting a facial four times a year, with the changing seasons, can be very beneficial for keeping your skin glowing.
Who Should Get a Facial?
The great thing about facials is that they are beneficial to anyone, and yes, that includes men. Once your Cosmetic Specialist looks at your skin, the products and techniques used will be geared to your specific needs.
Sensitive skin – it is best to avoid exfoliating your skin. The type of products used on your skin will be selected to prevent any irritation while still nourishing your skin.
Normal to dry skin – a moisturizing mask or a hydrating serum is an excellent addition to your facial.
Oily skin – a facial will focus on deep cleansing and extraction, and perhaps a mask to remove excess oils and shrink pores without over-drying your skin. Any products with added oils will be avoided.
Combination skin – dealing with both oily and dry skin, your facial will moisturize your dry areas while ensuring your oily areas are treated appropriately.
Men’s skin – facials can also help with razor burn, ingrown hairs, and dull skin.
If you are dealing with a skin condition such as rosacea or eczema, your Cosmetic Specialist will make sure to avoid techniques and products that could cause a flare-up. Be sure to let your Cosmetic Specialist know ahead of time if you have any known allergies to certain products.
Things You Should Do After a Facial
Avoid putting on makeup or other facial products for a few hours after your treatment. Let your skin breathe for a little bit. You also want to avoid being out in the sun, using a tanning bed, a sauna, or direct heat for 48 hours. Avoid picking at your face or scrubbing it, as this will irritate it.
Skin care is a daily part of our lives. Maintaining a good skin care routine will not only prolong the benefits of your facial but give you healthier skin in the long run. Cleanse, moisturize, and protect your skin with an effective sunblock.
At Advanced Dermatology & Skin Surgery, we are happy to answer any of your questions. It is important to us to provide you with the best dermatological care in the Greater Spokane and Inland Northwest areas. If you are interested in facials, book an appointment online, or call us at 509.456.7414.